Read my blog in other languages here !

Wednesday, January 21, 2015

Why The Heck Did I Take Italian? (And Other Questions) - Week 2 in France

Salut!

So I started school. Its interesting. Its also very, very tiring because even though I can speak the language, it still isn't my first language and takes up a lot of space in my head. I can't even describe the headache I had at the end of the first day, when my last class was Spanish. It felt like my head was about to explode with all the new things it had absorbed in just the one day. I feel like I have so many things to say, so my apologies if this post is a little jumbled.

School. I read in one of the many study abroad blogs that you feel like a sponge while in another country. I can't believe someone even managed to put their finger on it but it's so true. I do and see so many new things every day, sometimes its big things like going to a new school, or small things like how the road signs here don't seem to have any words but somehow everyone understands them. It's so interesting how these things are so important here, whereas in the US, I don't even bother to look at the road signs. (Only example I had, sorry). My school is called "Lycée Privé Saint Sauveur de Redon" and its huge and really old. I don't even think it has heat because I want to keep my coat on so badly in every class, but it's not allowed :((. My class is "Seconde 6" which basically means that I stay with the same people for the main classes like French, English, History, Science, Math, etc. They have been so nice to me! They look at my schedule with me each morning and then assign people to help me to every class and I almost cried of happiness because I would honestly never make it to any of my classes without them! Another thing that is very irritating to me (just as a new student and which I'm sure I'll get used to) is that I haven't had the same class in the same room ever. Like, the room changes every single time we have the class. Example: I've had English 3 times this week now and it has yet to be in the same classroom. Ugh. I've also convinced everyone that I'm "trop forte" in Maths (meaning I'm good at math), when in reality I've just already covered what we're just now doing in class. They will find out soon enough that I am not as adept as they assume I am. Whoops. Another thing is that I took Italian. As in, I have not ever spoken a word of Italian in my entire life until Tuesday morning. It was interesting. For some reason, I went into the class thinking that I would be able to speak a little ( I DON'T KNOW WHY OKAY) and I was so lost, it was very funny. Yeah... thats been the extent of my school experience so far (only 3 days).

General Remarks:

- It is at the same time irritating and immensely satisfying when I can find a word in French but not in English.
- I don't think I've ever eaten so much chocolate in my life. Hot chocolate for breakfast and as an after school snack.
- Originally-American movies translated into French are also irritating because the actor's mouths don't ever match up with their words.
- Trying to follow French 15/16 year-olds in conversation is almost impossible. I can barely formulate a response to a question and then they've already moved on.
- People look at me. Not in a bad way (hopefully), but just in a curious way. The other day, I was at my host brother and sister's school and a mom straight-out pointed at me and said to her son, "Look, its an American!". A little unnerving? Yes. But I tell myself its just curiosity and try to not be to bothered by it.

I want to go and try to read Percy Jackson in French so I am going to sign off now!

Bises x

Cecilia

follow me on my social media and Facebook for more updates on my french life! :)

Instagram: ceciliahartge

 Some photos from Lille that I forgot to post on the last entry and some new ones from Redon:
















1 comment:

  1. Hi much Bunch! Sounds like you are "soaking" in a lot! WOW!! I love your blog!! It's hard for me to wrap my head around the fact that there are words that exist in other languages but not in my native tongue. Makes me think that much meaning must get lost in translation... And road signs fer sure....baffling, and until discovering other methods, we take our own for granted, as you have so perceptively pointed out. TRY DRIVING AMONG ALL THOSE ROAD SIGNS!! Sheesh! (PS. We will address the driving upon your next sojourn to OR. The SMART is waiting!!). As for the drafty old school, how cool! BUT being cold while trying to learn is a terrible distraction. Got any LJ's you can layer underneath? And finally, as for the folks that stare...I would concur that they are likely just very curious, and probably even grateful after considering that such a brave young person has chosen to explore their culture and language as to serve as an ambassador for years to come... I love you!!! Miss you!!! Look fwd to your next post! love, Aint

    ReplyDelete