Read my blog in other languages here !

Sunday, January 4, 2015

Leaving on a Jet Plane

Hi again!

So, we are getting down to the last few days before departure (Jan. 9th to Boston and then Jan 11th to France), so I thought I would talk a little bit about packing for such a long trip. I am going to attach the packing list (with a few additions of my own) that the organization that I am going with (CIEE) provided me with, and only talk about some specific things that I think are important to know and that have helped me pack. Below the list is the answers to a few general questions that most people have asked me. :)

General:

 Airline tickets (have and save copies of all tickets you will be using this year)
 Documents used for your visa (if needed)
 CIEE program details and housing information.
 Passport + photocopies
 Photo ID
 insurance card
 Debit and credit card
 $100 local currency

Clothes:

 Jeans (2-3 pairs)
 Sweaters/Hoodies (2-3)
 T-shirts
 Long sleeve shirts (make sure they are good for layering)
 Underwear (one week’s worth)
 Pajamas (2 pairs)
 Warm slippers
 Socks (a week’s worth)
 Swimsuit
 Workout clothes (one set) (ok this says one set but I run everyday so I say more like 3-4 sets)
 Coat/Jacket (water resistant with zip pockets and removable lining)
 One nice outfit (dress pants/skirt/dress) for special occasions
 Good walking shoes
 Flip flops
 Scarf and/or cold weather gear (this is very important for me, because my host family has told me that it gets very cold where they live). BRR!

Toiletries/ Other:

 Any medication you are taking (for the entire length of stay) and a copy of the
prescriptions
 Travel alarm clock
 Washcloth and towel
 Brush/comb/hair accessories (bring so many hair ties because those things get lost so easily!!)
 Extra pair of glasses or full supply of contact lenses
 Sunglasses
 Makeup
 Feminine products
 Soap
 Deodorant
 Razors
 Toothbrush
 Toothpaste
 Nail clippers/file
 Sunblock
 Umbrella

In your carry on:

 Bag or backpack that can be used as an overnight bag for weekend trips.
 Water bottle
 Money belt or pouch
 Camera and battery charger
 Laptop/iPad/MP3 player and charger
 Electrical adapter and converter
 Reading/study material: journal, notebooks, books, magazines

Tips:

 Pack your bags then take half out. You need less than you think you do, so pack less and
pack light.
 You can buy a lot of supplies in-country, so only bring the things you cannot live without.
Your host family will take you to get anything else you need upon arrival. You’ll buy things
throughout your time abroad too.
 Keep your important documents, medications, and any crucial items in your carry-on in
case your luggage is lost or delayed.
 Put tape over liquids and place them in plastic bag to avoid leakage and spills.
 Bring clothing items that are plain and can be layered. You will thank yourself later for the
outfit choices and warmth.
 Check the average temperature in your host community before deciding on clothing.
 Check the airline requirements, and keep size and weight restrictions in mind.
 Check the TSA website (http://www.tsa.gov/) for other travel requirements.


Q and A:

 "How many bags are you bringing?"

  • Per CIEE's request, I am only taking one checked bag (SHOCKER, I know), a duffel bag (this will be my carry-on) and a backpack (this is my personal item on the plane). It actually helps when packing to have a limit because it forces you to really think about the stuff you are bringing.

 "Have you started packing yet?"

  • Yes, I actually have, even though it might have only been today. Now don't get me wrong, I'm not usually a "packing procrastinator" but I actually have an excuse! I went to Oregon for Christmas but now I am back and ready to run around like a crazy person until I leave on a jet plane (YES, THERE'S THE REFERENCE TO THE TITLE) on Thursday morning. 
I think I am going to end the post here but I hope that whoever is going back to school tomorrow has a great day back and for whoever is not going back to school- have a great day anyways!

Salut!

Cecilia

No comments:

Post a Comment